Last year I treated myself to the November Spinning Box. One of the fibres inside was a sheet (possibly a bat?) of alpaca. I tore it into strips based on colour.
I then spun the strips in to a single
Then I chain plied it.
I’m new to chain plying so I didn’t do it too evenly. Here it is after washing, I think it is slightly underplied as well as the uneven tension on the chain plying, but I like it how it is.
So these aren’t the better photos promised, but I have plyed and balled the landscape colourway I spun.
Until I get to taking proper photos, here are a few snapshots of the two singles:
And some of the two ply on the bobbin:
So I’ve treated myself to some roving from my home country. It’s a dark grey New Zealand halfbread dyed in a colourway called ‘landscape’ from Heavenly Wools.
It’s a coarser fibre than what I’ve spun so far. I’m trying to spin nice and thick to get a nice bouncy two ply.
The coulours aren’t very true as the photos were taken at night, but hopefully I’ll get better photos once done!
So I bought a ‘lap’ of silk merino, not sure what a lap actually is but basically it was a big huge sheet of softness.
When I bought it I had intended it to be used in a chunky textured weave cushion. When it arrived the colour was more lime green than the teal I expected and the fibre was so fine and beautiful it called out for fine spinning. So I tore it into strips, spun two singles and spun it.
The colours of the lap ranged from yelow to teal.
Once I had spun two singles I plyed them together
Now to decide what to make! I’m thinking a soft shawl or scarf.
MY first foray into spinning dyed fibre is with a couple of braids of ‘Tyrion’ from Cat and Sparrow fibres.
Here is my first attempt at spinning it, I was trying to spin thicker than I normally would and finding the colours blend together a lot.
So I asked around online and got some tips including spinning from the fold and divding the braid into colours. With so many thin strips of colour the later was hard but spinning from the fold worked a bit better.
Here is the resulting two ply from the first ball I spun
And this is the second.
And this is the third, still on the bobbin.
I plan for this to become cushions for my lounge.