Blue sock

So I’ve been working on my next pair of socks. I haven’t taken any progress photos, but here is the first sock of the pair so far.

dsc_3754

I’m using a variaged wool, It’s pooling in an interesting way, but I don’t mind it.

dsc_3756

dsc_3757

Because the wool was plainer I wanted to try something more adventurous as far as pattern, but after looking at a number of sock patterns I decided to go for a ribbing and save the fancier socks for when I’m more confident.

I did try something a little with the afterthought heel in that I knitted it like the toe (from the point of the heel down) and inserted it as I went. Not sure how it’s worked out but I’ll see how it goes. It did mean I didn’t have to pick up stitches which was a big plus.

Advertisements

I Can Knit Sock!

I can knit sock, not socks as I’m yet to finish the pair.

Here is my first sock:

20170209_181605.jpg

There was a hickup as after I finished the heel it didn’t fit, but I realised I did decreases in every row instead of every second row so I ripped it out (very scary, but I got the loops back on the needles after) and re-did it.

I’m not happy with the cuff, it is too loose and I don’t know how to fix it. I did 2 x 2 ribbing. Do I try another ribbing, re-knit it tigher, re-knit it with smaller needles…? Something else?

Wrong starts and knots.

I’ve been working on my sock today while I was home sick battling a nasty virus.

Here is where I left off last night.

dsc_3712

Here I am trying it on for fit.

dsc_3715

And with some more knitting.

dsc_3717

I’ve knit right up to where the heel starts now. I’ve temporarily put the sock on a circular needle as a stitch holder while I start the second sock—I thought it would be easier to get both feet the same length this way.

dsc_3720

Now before I started knitting I spent some time to make sure I started at the same point in the colour change.

Turns out I was WAY off.

dsc_3723

My first sock had a knot in the blue stripe third up from the toe, and I assumed it had been knotted in at the right part of the colour change. I’m thinking perhaps not because if so I haven’t got through a full repeat yet.

I was looking forward to the challenge of matching the stripes up on these socks. But oh well. They are made by hand, not a machine. And looking at how the colour changes might play out, they might just work out after all!

Malibu Socks

So my smaller knitting needles arrived yesterday. An added bonus I forgot I ordered some more sock yarn, so it was a surprise to have that in my package 😀 It is a wool/cotton (and other things) blend which I’m hoping will be good for the not so freezing days (for anyone not from Brisbane, temperatures in the daytime below 19C (and for the Americans that’s about 66F) are considered ‘freezing’ cold.)

So I’ve started knitting with one of my new balls of yarn- the colour is called Malibu Stretch. The pattern suggested size 2.5mm needles and the band on the ball suggested 2.5-3mm. I first did a gauge swatch with the recommended needles of the pattern and I was one stitch too many but when I moved up to 2.75 it was perfect.

dsc_3685

This is my progress so far.

dsc_3696

Meanwhile the yarn gets twisted up as I knit it. It always does this but it more noticable with this yarn. Right now I’m letting my knitting hang every few rows to untwist but it is anoying.

dsc_3694

The needles are ‘Karbonz’ and in the longest they come in. I’d prefer longer needles, like at least 30 cms long but dpns don’t seem to come that long any more. I find these ones are better than metal, but one of the tips is a bit rough and scratched up the needle next to it, so I switched that needle for another in the packet (there were 5 in the packet and I’m using 3 to knit with). I’ll have to see if I can smooth the rough tip down with anything—any suggestions?

Meanwhile I’m also doing some spinning.

dsc_3673

Learning to knit socks

 

I’ve wanted to knit socks for a long time. I tried knitting socks maybe seven years ago but didn’t get too far. Recently I’ve decide to have another go at it.

This time I’m doing toe up and using a craftsy tutorial by Susan B. Anderson called My First Toe-Up socks.

I had the choice of “worsted” yarn or “fingering”. I wanted to do the thicker for my first pair but couldn’t find 10 ply (worsted) weight yarn. I asked for suggestions on an Australian facebook group and apparently it is a common weight in America but not here. At their suggestion I substituted for an 8 ply wool that is on the larger size of 8 ply. They suggested I went up a needle size but I found my gauge was off, so I ended up using the needle the pattern suggested.

Here’s my progress after 5 re-starts.

dsc_3257

I found I was getting ladders between the needles despite pulling really tight at the first stitches on each needle.

dsc_3260

I also found my sock was pointing up as I knit it. I usually knit with my right needle under my armpit, so somehow this translated to knitting on the far-side of my ring, which apparently is wrong. I switched to the near-side and it helped with the ladders.

dsc_3262

 

dsc_3264

My pattern had an afterthought heel, but I was anxious to try it, so once I got past the heel I switched the active stitches over to a circular needle and worked the heel. The nearest needle I could find big enough for yarn was a bone one— a “you know you’re a reenactor when” moment.

dsc_3267

dsc_3269

Working the heel meant I could continue to try the sock on as I went.

dsc_3270

I didn’t knit any of the sock on the circular needles, was just using them as a stitch holder. I find circular needles too akward for knitting with- probably because there’s nothing to tuck under my arm or brace against my body.

dsc_3272

And here it is, waiting for the ends to be woven in.

dsc_3297