Cushion for Sister

Now Christmas is over I can share the cushion I made for my sister.

Earlier this year I went to the quilt and craft fair with my mother, sadly my sister couldn’t make it. I was hoping to find hand dyed spinning fibre but unfortunately there was none.

Instead my mother bought me a skein (a hank to my friends in the US) of beautiful fine merino silk blend and I bought the matching skein of mohair. I chose colours I hoped my sister would like so I could make her something. Once home I had to finish weaving up my mother’s cushions before I could start on my sister’s, so I didn’t get started until the 10th of December. But I was optimistic in finishing them.

dsc_2798

Now, did I mention the yarn was fine, didn’t I? Did I mention it was 900 metres to the 100 grams fine? And that as I had no pretty yarn for the warp these would be weft faced cushions? No? Well, I should have!

Here is a whole weekend’s work.

dsc_2793

I was aiming for a randomish but not to random stripe pattern. Because I hadn’t planned the pattern in advance, this is how I kept track of what I had woven.

dsc_2799

I found it worked really well to enable me to visualise the cloth so far!

The plain weave was just that, the plain silk merino packed down to be weft faced. The textured elements were one pic of boucle in a one up one down pickup pattern, spaced by three picks of the plain yarn (one pick up, then down, then up). The grey stripes were one pick grey variegated mohair one pick the plain yarn. The bulky yarn you see is something cheap I picked up because it went well with the colours and was bulky, I was beginning to get worried at how slow it was going.

During the week I was barley getting an inch or two a night done.

dsc_2801

Here (plus an inch) is how much I’d done by the 18th of December. Obviously doing two sides like this was not going to happen by Christmas so once I had (finally) finished the first side of the cushion I wove the back mostly in the bulky yarn, with some of the finer yarns included for texture.

dsc_2823

I finished the weaving on the 23rd, thanks in part to one of the bosses at work who told me to go home at 10:20 am (I’d done all my work and there was nothing else to do, yay for an early mark!)

Then I just had to sew it up! I did that on Christmas eve.

Here is the finished cushion front:

dsc_2818

And back:

dsc_2822

I had it done by Christmas and ready to give!

Cushions for Mother

It’s been ages since I’ve done some weaving and I found a bulky thick and think yarn on sale, so I picked it up with a thought to make some cushions for my mother.

I used a synthetic mohair for the warp and warped up for a weft dominant weave.

After weaving a header of plain yarn I switched to the thick and thin. I was planning on alternating but instead I stuck with the thick and thin. Before I wove each pick I lay the yarn over the warp and used my pickup stick to pick up more threads over the thin parts of the yarn and less over the thick. This made the thick parts stand out more. I was going for a ‘pebbles on the beach look’

dsc_1312

Here is my first cushion front on the loom:

dsc_1325

and some taken while I was sewing it up:

dsc_2879

dsc_2876

I was worried the texture was too overpowering  so for the second I just wove a stripe of the texture.

dsc_2831

I sewed up the cushions using some wool I found at a second hand store on a trip to Sydney.

dsc_2882

dsc_2881

Mum loved them!

dsc_2885