Tyrion, Ellaria and a Splash of Eri Silk

I had one braid of Tyrion left from Cat and Sparrow Fibres, so I split it in half. I also had two braids of a golden colourway called Ellaria so I added about 10cm of that to each half of Tyrion. I then pulled the braid of Tyrion apart as much as I could into colour segments, and spun from the fold, adding Ellaria and also some smatterings of eri silk throughout.

Here are my results:

dsc_3248

 

To compare this is the last bobbin of Tyrion I spun:

dsc_2245

I got a ball winder for Christmas from my mother, so once this was washed I put it to good use and balled it up.

dsc_3252

 

And another comparison shot, the new spin on top, just Tyrion on the bottom (yes, I rewound my hand wound balls into new balls with my new ball winder. They stack better this way.)

dsc_3254

I am planning a project using both Tyrion and Ellaria so this blend will tie the two together nicely.

Landscape

So I’ve treated myself to some roving from my home country. It’s a dark grey New Zealand halfbread dyed in a colourway called ‘landscape’ from Heavenly Wools.

 

dsc_2468

 

It’s a coarser fibre than what I’ve spun so far. I’m trying to spin nice and thick to get a nice bouncy two ply.

dsc_2462

dsc_2347

The coulours aren’t very true as the photos were taken at night, but hopefully I’ll get better photos once done!

Lap of Spring

So I bought a ‘lap’ of silk merino, not sure what a lap actually is but basically it was a big huge sheet of softness.

dsc_1600

dsc_1471

When I bought it I had intended it to be used in a chunky textured weave cushion. When it arrived the colour was more lime green than the teal I expected and the fibre was so fine and beautiful it called out for fine spinning. So I tore it into strips, spun two singles and spun it.

dsc_1636

dsc_1481

The colours of the lap ranged from yelow to teal.

dsc_1597

dsc_1627

dsc_1642

Once I had spun two singles I plyed them together

dsc_2260

dsc_2261

Now to decide what to make! I’m thinking a soft shawl or scarf.

Tyrion

MY first foray into spinning dyed fibre is with a couple of braids of ‘Tyrion’ from Cat and Sparrow fibres.

Here is my first attempt at spinning it, I was trying to spin thicker than I normally would and finding the colours blend together a lot.

dsc_1336

So I asked around online and got some tips including spinning from the fold and divding the braid into colours. With so many thin strips of colour the later was hard but spinning from the fold worked a bit better.
dsc_1337

 

Here is the resulting two ply from the first ball I spun
dsc_2252

 

And this is the second.

dsc_2257

dsc_2253

 

And this is the third, still on the bobbin.

dsc_2240

dsc_2245

 

I plan for this to become cushions for my lounge.

More Cotton Spinning!

Up to now I have been spinning on my tahkli spindle.

dsc_1177

Well, my beloved bought me a spinning wheel! Its a little Ashford e-spinner as it’s small and fits in our tiny house.

So of course I had to have a go at spinning cotton. It took a bit to get it working, you need just the right settings, not much tension and a fast speed but I got there!

DSC_1307.JPG

 

Spinning on my new spinning wheel. Left, the commercial cotton I’m trying to match. Right, mine.

 

The fist mini-skeins of cotton spin on my new spinning wheel. The first one was underspun but the second was better.

DSC_1316.jpg

And finally all my little skeins of cotton so far!

 

dsc_1327

 

Playing with Colour and Cotton

Amongst the kit I bought from Cotton Clouds was some naturally coloured green and brown cotton. I’ve heard that boiling this cotton once spun or woven darkens the colour. I’ve previously bought a towel weaving kit from Cotton Clouds and have read that boiling can increase absorbency too. So I set up a pot and boiled and boiled my tea towel in a small amount of washing soada.

Here you can see some of the threads without my boiling on the tea towel after boiling.

dsc_1136

It is both darker and more absorbent!

So, encouraged, I pulled out my naturally coloured cotton slivers and got spinning. I tried holding the two colours together and playing around with effects I could get.

dsc_1145

dsc_1146

dsc_1155

dsc_1164

The top skein is brown and green sliver held together in both plies.
The middle is brown, green and white sliver held together in both plies.
The bottom is brown, green and white sliver held together in one ply and white in the other.

Next to boil them with some washing soda and see how the colours look once darkened.

dsc_1174

You can see what a difference it made! Lighting in the photos were a bit different so I included the unspun sliver with the boiled skeins.

Finally, a picture of my post-boiling water– yuck!
dsc_0991

Cotton on a Tahkli

So I treated myself to a learn to spin cotton pack from Cotton Clouds.
Here is my first attempt at spinning cotton, and my first attempt at using a tahkli.
dsc_0981

dsc_0983

dsc_0984

Here follows my second attempt. The little balls of cotton are medieval spindle whorls I wind my singles around to clear off my spindle for the next singles (I only have one tahkli) and my plying balls.
dsc_0985

dsc_0987

dsc_0995