I’ve wanted to knit socks for a long time. I tried knitting socks maybe seven years ago but didn’t get too far. Recently I’ve decide to have another go at it.
This time I’m doing toe up and using a craftsy tutorial by Susan B. Anderson called My First Toe-Up socks.
I had the choice of “worsted” yarn or “fingering”. I wanted to do the thicker for my first pair but couldn’t find 10 ply (worsted) weight yarn. I asked for suggestions on an Australian facebook group and apparently it is a common weight in America but not here. At their suggestion I substituted for an 8 ply wool that is on the larger size of 8 ply. They suggested I went up a needle size but I found my gauge was off, so I ended up using the needle the pattern suggested.
Here’s my progress after 5 re-starts.
I found I was getting ladders between the needles despite pulling really tight at the first stitches on each needle.
I also found my sock was pointing up as I knit it. I usually knit with my right needle under my armpit, so somehow this translated to knitting on the far-side of my ring, which apparently is wrong. I switched to the near-side and it helped with the ladders.
My pattern had an afterthought heel, but I was anxious to try it, so once I got past the heel I switched the active stitches over to a circular needle and worked the heel. The nearest needle I could find big enough for yarn was a bone one— a “you know you’re a reenactor when” moment.
Working the heel meant I could continue to try the sock on as I went.
I didn’t knit any of the sock on the circular needles, was just using them as a stitch holder. I find circular needles too akward for knitting with- probably because there’s nothing to tuck under my arm or brace against my body.
And here it is, waiting for the ends to be woven in.